Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pistachio butter cookies and goodbye 2012

Pistachio butter cookies / Amanteigados de pistache

To end 2012 and also to start 2013 in a delicious way, I give you these cookies: insanely easy to make and super tasty, they were a hit with the coworkers - every time I ran into someone walking down the corridors they would say "OMG, those pistachio cookies were amazing!", and I have to thank Martha for that. Her recipes are always fantastic, that is why I can't wait to get the new cookbook she has coming out next month.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Pistachio butter cookies
from the oh, so delicious Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook

1 cup (2 sticks/226g) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons (370g total) all-purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon salt
112g (4oz) unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted, cooled, finely chopped, fine dust sifted out*
about ¼ cup granulated, extra, for rolling the dough log

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat to combine. Add the flour and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Stir in the pistachios.
Divide the dough into two equal parts. Place each on a piece of parchment paper; shape dough into logs. Fold parchment over dough; using a ruler, roll and press into a 3.5 cm (1.4in) log – like Martha does here. Wrap in parchment. Chill in freezer until very firm.
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Unwrap one log at a time (keep the other in the freezer). Roll dough logs in the extra sugar, coating them evenly, then cut into 6mm (¼in) thick rounds; space 2.5cm (1in) apart onto prepared sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown around the edges, 15-20 minutes. Cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

* the fine dust I sifted out of the pistachios was used in this recipe

Makes about 55

7 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I love butter cookies, these are so pretty. Happy New Year, Patricia! :)

Abby said...

Martha will always be my homegirl! Watched a few movies last week - thought of you! Sense and Sensibility (one of my all-time faves), Road to Perdition (my first viewing; violent) and The Four Feathers (one of Heath's best showings, amiright?) Happy New Year!

Ursula said...

Thank you so much for posting such wonderful recipes and the lovely pictures to showcase them! I look forward to seeing each new post! Do you ever sleep?? I wish you a healthy and happy new year!

anilou said...

These sound easy and delicious. Thankyou for all your lovely recipes this year, it's a pleasure receiving them seeing them my in-box.
Best wishes to you and your family in 2013.

anilou said...

I meant, it's a pleasure receiving them in my in-box. :)
English is my first (and only) language would you believe!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Ursula, lol! I do sleep, actually. :)
Thank you for your lovely comment and I wish you a wonderful year, too!
xx

Anilou, thank you for always being around, I deeply appreciate that!
xx

Valentina said...

Feliz ano novo darlign!!! I just love the new year celeb. it fills me with hope. wishing you a lot of happiness. and please pass me one of those pistachio cookies , will you?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails