Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Red peppers stuffed with quinoa, Fontina and goats cheese + "Moon"

Red peppers stuffed with quinoa, Fontina and goats cheese / Pimentões assados recheados com quinoa, Fontina e queijo de cabra

I have been on a good movie wave lately – in about one week I watched five good movies (including “The Dark Knight Rises”), four of them really great ones. One of those movies was “Moon” – after watching “Source Code” last year I got interested in Duncan Jones’ work as a director, and it seems that the man has inherited his old man’s creative genes. :)

* spoilers *

Sam Rockwell was another reason why I wanted to watch “Moon” – I understand that preference for certain actors is a really personal thing, that is why I wouldn’t be able to watch a movie centered around only one character had that character been played by someone I find mediocre, like Johnny Depp, for example. Rockwell owns the movie, frame by frame, and moves with ease from one version of Sam Bell to another, giving us a stunning performance. And what to say about Gerty? The robot is voiced by Kevin Spacey and that alone would be genius already, but the changing faces and the “feelings” it has for Sam brings out great empathy for the robot throughout the movie, especially in the end. But to me the most unforgettable thing about “Moon” is the music: not only is it powerful and suits the movie perfectly, it is also so beautiful and fantastic that I bet you won’t be able to get Clint Mansell’s score off of your mind even if you try to.
I like the science fiction genre a lot – "Alien", "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Blade Runner" were part of my teenage years – but like those classics “Moon” is so much more than that: it’s about human nature, and that fascinates me the most.

* end of spoilers *

These roasted peppers, so tender and delicious, are easy and quick to prepare: I put them together in a couple of minutes, threw the roasting pan in the oven and sat in the couch with the hubby to watch the Olympic Games – a lazy meal for a lazy day.
The recipe was slightly adapted from Mark Bittman’s wonderful vegetarian bible, which I bought by suggestion of my good friend Ana Elisa.

Red peppers stuffed with quinoa, Fontina and goats cheese
slightly adapted from the fantastic How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food

2 red bell peppers
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked quinoa
¾ cup finely grated Fontina
1/3 cup crumbled goat’s cheese
handful of chopped parsley
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil + a little extra for drizzling

Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F. Line a small roasting pan with foil.
Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and white pith. Season the insides of the peppers with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the quinoa, the Fontina, the goat’s cheese, the parsley and the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff the pepper halves with the quinoa mixture, drizzle with a little olive oil and place in the prepared pan. Roast until peppers are tender, 20-30 minutes.

Serves 2

6 comments:

johngalt said...

Not so long ago I watched 'Source Code', liked it a lot and actually have been meaning to watch 'Moon' since.
I first got interested in Duncan's work because I'm a HUGE Bowie fan, and was actually very pleased to see that Zowie(:D) has been able to achieve something quite remarkable without relying on his fathers fame.
Your recommendation makes me want to see the movie even more:)
Oh, and I love stuffed peppers. Do you think I can substitute quinoa with sth else? Where I live it's really hard to find:(

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Roasted, stuffed peppers are pure comfort food!

pam said...

These sound wonderful!

ChichaJo said...

Roasted peppers! Craving already!

I love how you combine food and movies :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Johngalt,
If you liked "Source Code" I think you'll like "Moon" even more. I hope you get to see it! And I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
As for the peppers, my mom used to make roasted peppers filled with rice and ground beef.

Valentina said...

Love red peppers.in all shapes and forms. Love, love this queck version here. I haven't seen Moon - somehow missed it. Must give it a go upon your recommendation and report back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails