Monday, November 14, 2011

Chestnut cakes with raisins, almonds and honey

Chestnut cakes with raisins, almonds and honey

After making Alice Medrich’s chestnut pound cake several times I thought I should find another recipe for my chestnut flour – that was when I found these adorable little cakes on one of my old Gourmet Traveller issues. They looked so perfect! I had to bake them. The cakes turned out incredibly tender – I had to be very careful while unmolding them – and delicious. I never thought I’d say that, but Alice’s chestnut cake – which is one of my top favorites – has found some serious competition... ;)

Chestnut cakes with raisins, almonds and honey

Chestnut cakes with raisins, almonds and honey
adapted from the always amazing Australian Gourmet Traveller

1/3 cup (50g) golden raisins
100g unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup (150g) superfine sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup (140g) all purpose flour
65g chestnut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100ml whole milk
3 tablespoons flaked almonds
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, extra, melted, for drizzling
honey, for drizzling

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter and flour four 1 cup (240ml) capacity mini cake pans.
Place raisins in a small bowl and pour enough hot water to cover. Set aside.
Beat sugar and butter in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Sift in all purpose flour, chestnut flour and baking powder, stir to combine, stir in milk, then spoon into prepared pans.
Drain raisins, pat dry on absorbent paper and combine in a bowl with the almonds. Scatter over cakes, drizzle with the melted butter and bake until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean (25-30 minutes). Cool cakes in pans over a wire rack for 10 minutes then carefully turn out onto the rack. Cool completely.
Drizzle cakes with honey before serving.

Makes 4

7 comments:

Pilar. Cook and Spoon said...

So yummy! Perfect for breakfast or as a snack in the evening.

martina said...

With its sweetness and lightness chestnut flour can make everyhting irresistible! To bad here in Ireland I can't find it.I'm waiting my Christmas holiday to homeland to grab some! If you like I have a chestnut-chocolate cake recipe that rocks. This one will be right in my kitchen just after Christmas!!! ;)
Cheers Martina

Priya Suresh said...

Looks stunning..

Aniko said...

These cakes are perfect for breakfast! Can i copy the recipe?
Of course with link to yr blog!

argone said...

I love how the honey shines on your cakes .... so yummy !! thank you !

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

These look beyond gorgeous...can't wait to give them a try! Now I have a good reason to get the mini cake pans!

Dina said...

they are adorable! i'd love to try them. i've never cooked with chestnut flour.

Related Posts with Thumbnails