Monday, November 7, 2011

Blueberry crumble and my love for crumbles

Blueberry crumble / Crumble de mirtilos

I’ve come to a conclusion: crumbles have become my favorite dessert. As much as I love ice cream and fruit tarts crumbles are now to me a synonym to feel-good-food. The flavors can vary from traditional to tropical, it doesn’t matter: crumbles make me happy. :)

I ate my first crumble in my late twenties and first made one myself in my early thirties, yet I feel that it could have easily become a childhood favorite had I been introduced to it earlier in life – it would have been perfect for all those afternoons watching "Seven Faces of Dr. Lao" over and over again. :D

Blueberry crumble
inspired by the gorgeous Tender, Volume 2: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden

150g blueberries – I used frozen, unthawed
finely grated zest of ½ lemon
3 teaspoons granulated or caster (superfine) sugar
¼ teaspoon corn starch

Crumble topping:
1/3 cup + ½ tablespoon (50g) all purpose flour
2 ½ tablespoons (35g) unsalted butter, room temperature, chopped
1/3 cup (33g) almond meal (finely ground almonds)
2 ½ tablespoons granulated or caster (superfine) sugar

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Have ready two 200ml capacity ovenproof ramekins or cups.
In a small bowl, mix the blueberries, lemon zest, sugar and corn starch. Divide equally between the ramekins.
In a medium bowl, place flour and butter and, using your fingertips, rub the ingredients together until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the almond meal and sugar and mix. Sprinkle over the blueberries and bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling.
Serve with heavy cream or vanilla ice cream.

Serves 2 – but I must confess that I ate both ramekins myself. ;)

8 comments:

Pilar. Cook and Spoon said...

I love crumbles with some icecream. One of my favourite desserts, no doubt.

Kasinka said...

Looks so delicious!!

Deena @ stay at home FOODIE said...

Yum! My oldest daughter will eat anything fruity, I have never though of using frozen fruit. I guess I'm a bit dense. What a great way to have great crumbles in the off-season

argone said...

I wouldn't say they are my favourite dessert, but I love them too ! This one seems very very good ...

Anusha Praveen said...

I m only drooling. I m not saying anything else

Abby said...

Apple crumble is my fave, but I've never turned down a bite of any kind!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

Well, I couldn't agree more...crumbles are divine, any time of year. And, so great that you can use frozen fruit too. What's not to love????? Great post, as usual!

Julia's Bookbag said...

I ADORE NIGEL SLATER!!! (and your blog which I just recently discovered!) This looks wonderful, I love the way it uses almond meal in the crumble base. Can't wait to try!

Related Posts with Thumbnails