Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Strawberry cheesecake ice cream and a very, very scary movie

Strawberry cheesecake ice cream / Sorvete de cheesecake de morango

I’ve come to the conclusion that my courage, these days, is pretty much having ice cream (the one on the photo, delicious) in very cold days.

My sister wanted to watch “Insidious” and since I cannot say “no” to her I went along. I spent most of the movie with my eyes closed and that did not stop me from having nightmares about it for days. She left the theater laughing and told me the movie was not scary at all, while I drove home secretly wishing my husband were there already so I would not have to take a shower alone in the apartment. :S

And to think that I watched “The Entity” in my teenage years... What a shame. :D

Strawberry cheesecake ice cream / Sorvete de cheesecake de morango

Strawberry cheesecake ice cream
adapted from the always fantastic and delicious The Perfect Scoop, inspired by the beautiful Beyond the Plate

Cheesecake ice cream:
225g (8oz) cream cheese
¼ cup (60ml) whole milk
1 ¼ cups (300ml) heavy cream
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup (133g) superfine sugar
pinch of salt

Strawberry sauce:
250g strawberries, hulled
1 ½ tablespoons superfine sugar, or to taste
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and place into a blender or food processor. Add the milk, heavy cream, lemon zest and juice, sugar and salt and blitz until smooth. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, make the strawberry sauce: purée the strawberries in a blender with the sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Press the purée through a fine strainer to remove the seeds. Chill.
Freeze the cheesecake mixture in your ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. By the end of churning time add the strawberry sauce gradually to the ice cream maker to have some of it mixed into the cream and some of it creating a marbled effect. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.

Makes about 3 cups (750ml)

9 comments:

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

I watched Insidious too and you're right, it's pretty scary! that ice cream looks marvelous, on this hot weather it's just perfect!

nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

I make a skinny strawberry pie topped cheesecake but never thought to make an ice cream...Very clever!

mari said...

Scary movies, and strawberry cheese cake ice cream. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

I want to eat that!

susan said...

I knew this was your photo before I even clicked on it! You have a particular style, my dear friend, and I like it! MIssing you terribly!!!

Katie said...

mmmmm This sounds delectable! I've pinned this to my pinterest board and can't wait to make this. I found you via Taste-Spotting!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

Your photos are gorgeous and your ice cream sounds amazing!

story said...

Those are the most perfect strawberries! Beautiful!

Yhp said...

Hi there! I made this, and couldn't be happier with the results. This recipe is a keeper, the texture and the flavour of this came out amazing.I put some Graham cracker crumbs to sprinkle on top, sort of copying Ben & Jerry's strawberry cheesecake ice cream :)

Thank you for posting this recipe, I also posted about it on my blog if you would like to take a look. http://aroundleglobe.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/strawberry-cheesecake-ice-cream-with.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails