Sunday, July 10, 2011

Broccolini rigatoni - delicious food in almost no time at all

Broccolini rigatoni / Rigatoni com brócolis

I love being in the kitchen, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying quick meals too – they have been a great idea in these cold days, when all I want is to be wrapped in a blanked, reading or watching TV.

After watching several episodes of the wonderful “Jamie’s 30-minute meals” I ended up buying the book - which is absolutely beautiful - and the first recipe I tried was this pasta dish: broccolini is in season and the hubby loves it. It instantly became one of his favorites – and heaven knows how rarely that happens. :)

Broccolini rigatoni
slightly adapted from the wonderful Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes; I bought it on amazon.co.uk

250g broccolini or broccoli
½ small onion
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
finely grated zest of ½ lemon
a few sprigs of fresh thyme, stalks removed
200g rigatoni
generous handful finely grated parmesan, plus more to serve
handful of basil leaves

Slice all the broccolini florets from the stalks and set the florets aside. Place the stalks, the onion, the garlic and the capers in a food processor and process until a rough paste forms.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the broccolini paste. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add ¼ cup (60ml) hot water, season with salt, pepper, the lemon zest and the thyme leaves and stir.
Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente, adding the broccolini florets to the water in the last minutes of the cooking time.
Drain the pasta and broccolini florets reserving about ½ cup (120ml) of the cooking water. Transfer the pasta and broccolini to the pan with the paste, add the parmesan and basil leaves and mix to combine everything together. If necessary, add a little of the reserved cooking water to loosen the pasta sauce.
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with more parmesan and serve at once.

Serves 2

11 comments:

KrithisKitchen said...

Simple healthy and comforting..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Roundup: Healing Foods - Banana
Event: Serve It - Grilled/Barbequed/Tandoored

Velvet said...

It looks delicious! I love pasta.

Anonymous said...

Pasta is the perfect comfort food for those cold days. We're having horrible heat waves in my part of the world.

tiina said...

I like the idea of broccoli and capers togeter. This is a perfect dinner idea after a busy Monday. Simple and relaxed. Hope you're well, dear! xx

Unknown said...

Perfect recipe, perfect picture!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

I have all the ingredients in the kitchen and can't wait to give this a try this week. I love quick and easy (and healthy) recipes too! We must've both been channeling savory thoughts this week as I too posted something non-sweet for a change! ;-)

Rivki Locker said...

Quick dinners are a life saver on worknights. this looks like a great one to add to my repertoire.

ChichaJo said...

This sounds fantastic! I love how you use the stalk as part of the sauce...and I love Jamie! :)

Jen said...

Just wondering, does the recipe call for basil leaves or thyme leaves? You have basil listed in the ingredients list and thyme mentioned in the directions.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Jen, I've corrected the recipe - thank you for letting me know it was incorrect!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Joey, I love him, too! I loved the idea of using the stalks - no waste!
xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails