Friday, June 11, 2010

Milk chocolate-filled cinnamon doughnuts

Milk chocolate-filled cinnamon doughnuts / Doughnuts com canela recheados com chocolate ao leite

Still on the feasible side of promises and resolutions, I’ve been trying to make more yeasted recipes – because I always tell people I love working with yeast but taking a look at my blog that doesn’t sound very true.

I got this recipe here – the same magazine these buns came from – and highly recommend it: the doughnuts are tender, taste great and imho don’t necessarily need the chocolate filling.
Just need to warn you the recipe yields a lot – not a bad thing if you have a big family, but that is not my case. :)

Milk chocolate-filled cinnamon doughnuts
from Australian Gourmet Traveller

2 ¼ teaspoons (7g) dried yeast
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
¼ cup + ½ tablespoon (56g) caster sugar
5 cups + 1 tablespoon (710g) all purpose flour
¼ cup + 3 tablespoons (98g) unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs
pinch of salt
100g milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
milk, for brushing
vegetable oil, for frying
cinnamon sugar, for dusting

Combine yeast, buttermilk, sugar and ¼ cup (60ml) warm water in the bowl of an electric mixer and stand for 10 minutes or until foamy. Add flour, butter, eggs and a pinch of salt and mix using dough hook attachment. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth – I used the mixer for the whole process. Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat, cover with plastic wrap and stand for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to 3mm thick. Using a 7.5cm (3in) round cutter dipped in flour, cut out rounds, re-roll dough and repeat. Divide milk chocolate among half the rounds, placing in center, brush edges with milk and top with remaining rounds. Using a 6.5cm (2 ½in) round cutter dipped in flour, trim rounds, pressing to seal. Place 2.5cm (1in) apart on a lightly floured tray and stand for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
Heat oil in a large deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 160°C/320°F. Deep-fry doughnuts, in batches, turning occasionally for 2-3 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Place over paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Roll in cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.

Serves 15 – I halved the recipe above and got 22 doughnuts

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yummy, I am going to gain weight reading your blog.

Sarah said...

I would love to try these - can any of the steps be done the night before?

Aaron John said...

WOW!! These look really good!! They look light, fluffy, and have a great golden brown color!
Would you mind checking out my blog? :D
http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

ICook4Fun said...

Patricia, this look great!! It look puffy and pillow soft. Maybe I can halve the recipe when I make this as I don't have a big family :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

These look so soft and filled with chocolate - they must be heavenly!

Deborah said...

I was just thinking today that a doughnut sounds good, and then I see these! I think I need them now!

Taz said...

Yum, I made something similar from Gourmet Traveller just recently - except mine were orange flavoured. The recipe called for a chocolate filling and I totally agree, when fresh, they were so delicious they didn't need a filling! I hope yours were as tasty as mine :]

I adore your little espresso cups in the background.

baby cribs said...

These are nice and very tempting donuts! I can't wait to try it!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

Doughnuts are my all time favourite indulgence in lofe. Soft, light, fluffy, and delicous. But oh so bad for you..... These look perfect.

RecipeGirl said...

Oh my goodness- this is my weakness. Donuts! These flavors look wonderful!

The Urban Baker said...

these look like they just came out of a donut shop! I could eat these off the page! xx

Amanda Stuckey said...

These are giving me a serious case of food jealousy.

Katie said...

These look fantastic!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jennifurla, I hope not! :)

Sarah, not sure... Maybe you should try one of those doughs that stay in the fridge overnight.

AJ, thank you!

I Cook 4 Fun, thank you! I halved it but still got tons of doughnuts. :)

Shirley, thank you for stopping by!

Deb, come on over, sweetie! ;)

Taz, I want to try those, too! Actually, I want to try each and every recipe from that magazine. :)
Thank you!

Joudie, thank you for visiting!

Recipe Girl, thank you!

Susan, thank you! You're so sweet. xoxo

Amanda, thank you!

Katie, thank you!

M. said...

beautiful doughnuts, I could eat whole plate by myself....wish I could just grab them off the screen, right now!!!

eatme_delicious said...

What perfect little doughnuts! I love how they're covered in sugar.

Terence said...

May I know what is buttermilk?
Can I use any milk for this receipe?

Thank you.

Patricia Scarpin said...

M., thank you! I wish I could have shared these with you, sweetie!
xx

Ashley, thank you!

Terence, you should google "buttermilk". I would choose whole milk, always.

Dixie Caviar said...

These are just some of the most beautiful looking doughnuts I've ever seen. Not to mention that they sound divine.

Perhaps I've just found my weekend project! Thanks for sharing.

Grace said...

Hi patricia,

Just found your blog and suddenly i hv so many additional "things to bake" list :) i made ur toblerone recipe yesteredy and they turn out the most delicious cookie i've ever eat and hubby love it so much.. So thank u. Btw,pls advice if i would like to bake half recipe like u did, how i reduce the eggs? In this recipe, need 3 eggs ? And how about bajing time ? Do we need to change it as well ?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Grace, I'm so glad to know you're enjoying the blog! Thank you!

When I need to use 1/2 egg, as per in this recipe, I do the following: I crack the egg in a small bowl and lightly beat it with a fork, then pour half the amount in the recipe.
Baking times sometimes need adjust, I keep an eye on the oven so I can see if the baked good has risen and colored enough, etc.
Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails