Sunday, June 13, 2010

Asparagus and ricotta tarts

Asparagus and ricotta tarts / Tortinhas de ricota e aspargo

Joao bought a bunch of asparagus a while ago and, for some reason I can’t remember now we did not eat them right away – I ended up freezing the asparagus but wasn’t sure if that would work.

I decided to make tartlets to check if the asparagus were still good and they turned out delicious – I place the asparagus still frozen on top of the ricotta filling and baked according to the recipe.

No asparagus around? Don’t fret – I think these tartlets would be great with other veggies, such as broccolini and zucchini.

Asparagus and ricotta tarts
adapted from Donna Hay magazine

1 sheet ready-prepared butter puff pastry, thawed
¾ cup (150g) fresh ricotta
1 cup finely grated parmesan
¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon olive oil – I used garlic infused
salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 asparagus spears, trimmed
olive oil extra, for brushing

Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
Cut out four 12x6cm rectangles from the pastry sheet and place on the prepared sheet. Score a 1cm border on each rectangle.
Place the ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Spoon the ricotta mixture onto the pastry and top with the asparagus. Brush the pastry borders with the oil. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

12 comments:

Paula said...

it looks so yummy!

pam said...

So pretty! I've seen these in her magazine and her books, I need to try them too.

Amanda Stuckey said...

Oh my goodness! They're gorgeous and they sound delicious.

~ Chef Louise said...

I love ricotta- these flavors are totally my thing... Having puff pastry in the freezer is must...

Unknown said...

Those look delicious, I bet a balsalmic glaze drizzle would be a killer addition.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really do look lovely. Local asparagus is still available here so I'll put your recipe to good use. This is my first visit to your blog. I've spent some time reading your earlier posts and found I really like your recipes. I'll be back often to see what you've been cooking. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

M. said...

yum!!! I made something very similar few months ago, but with aged cheddar....perfect dish for asparagus season....It must have been delicious with fresh ricotta cheese....looks fantastic!!!!

dining table said...

Healthy start! I like this one. I have never thought of using those in tarts.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Paula, thank you!

Pam, you'll love them, I'm sure, darling!
xx

Amanda, thank you!

Louise, thank you for stopping by! I agree with you on the puff pastry thing. ;)

Jennifurla, that is a great idea!

Mary, you are far too kind! Thank you for your lovely comment! Hope to see you around here again!
xx

M., that version of yours sounds wonderful, darling! Yum!

eatme_delicious said...

What cute little tarts! I love that there's lemon and parsley in with the ricotta.

Anonymous said...

Can you put it together in advance then bake later?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi Anonymous, I don't think that would work because the humidity in the ricotta would make the pastry soggy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails