Monday, July 14, 2008

Dulce de leche cake for my dad's birthday

Dulce de leche cake

My father has a weakness for dulce de leche; well, pretty much everyone I know does. :) So it was easy to choose his birthday cake.

His birthday is today, but we celebrated it last Saturday – a small group of great people, good food... I’m glad Dad liked it.

I laughed my heart out when he arrived and looked at the cake – there were two big candles with the numbers “6” and “0”.
“Not anyone needs to know I’m turning 60...” he said.
“Apparently, my sister thinks they do – she’s the one who bought the candles and, not only are they huge, but they’re also covered in glitter!” :)

Happy birthday, Dad!!

Dulce de leche cake

Dulce de leche cake
adapted from The Whimsical Bakehouse and from Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes

Cake:
8 eggs
1 1/3 cups (233g) packed light brown sugar
1 2/3 cups (233g) cake flour*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm

Syrup:
¼ cup (50g) vanilla scented caster sugar
½ cup (120ml) water
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

Dulce de leche cream:
2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
1 cup dulce de leche

Make the cake: preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF. Line the bottoms of three 20cm (8-inch) round cake pans with rounds of parchment or waxed paper, but do not grease the pans.
In a large heatproof bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Gradually whisk in the brown sugar. Set over a pot of barely simmering water and whisk constantly until the brown sugar dissolves and the mixture warms to body temperature. Remove from the heat and, with an electric mixer, beat on medium speed until the mixture holds slowly dissolving ribbons when the beaters are lifted.
Put the flour and cinnamon in a sifter and sift about 1/3 over the top of the eggs. Gently fold in with a large metal spoon. Repeat 2 more times with the remaining flour, folding only until mixed, with no trace of flour.
Drizzle the melted butter over the batter and fold in, now with a rubber spatula, taking care not to deflate the batter or to leave pockets of butter not folded in. Divide the batter among the 3 prepared cake pans.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean – mine took 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pans. Run a blunt knife around the edge of each cake to release it from the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack and carefully peel off the paper.

Now, the syrup: boil the sugar and water over medium heat until the mixture reduces to ½ cup. Remove from heat, add the vanilla extract and allow to cool before using.

Prepare the dulce de leche cream: Place the cream in the freezer for 4 minutes.
In a large chilled mixer bowl with chilled beaters, combine the cream with the dulce de leche. Beat on low speed to combine and dissolve the dulce de leche. Raise the mixer to medium-high and whip until stiff peaks form.

Assemble the cake: place one cake layer, flat side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Brush it with the rum syrup to moisten evenly. Cover the layer with about 2/3 cup of the dulce de leche cream, spreading it evenly to the edges. Repeat with the next layer, moistening it with the syrup as well.
Top with the third layer. Moisten it with the syrup. Frost the top and sides of the cake completely with the remaining dulce de leche cream (there was about ¼ cup left in the end). Then, using a cake comb or the cutting edge of a serrated knife, run it around the side of the cake to make a grooved pattern all around – I melted 100g dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids) and drizzled it over the cake, Jackson Pollock style (idea from here).

* there’s no cake flour here in Brazil, so I used the following: 1 cup cake flour = 7/8 cup (123g) all purpose flour + 2 tablespoons corn starch

Serves 12-16

Dulce de leche cake

56 comments:

mari said...

I've always wanted to make Dulce de leche cake. I've even gathered a few recipes but never made it. Your version is inspiring! Happy Birthday to your father. And now you're going to have to do something even more amazing (is that possible?) for his 70th...

lululu said...

Oh, I really that how u made the swirls. It looks really good, like an art piece.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's an incredible cake...unreal and delicious!

kimberly salem said...

yum, the cake sounds delicious, and i love the jackson pollock-inspired decoration! it looks great!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Wowser! Lucky man, your dad!

bakeorbreak said...

Oh, wow! I must make this. Quinn would love it!

Katie said...

Its beautiful and how can you go wrong with dulce de leche.

Manggy said...

Count me in among the DDL lovers! Happy birthday to your dad, what a special cake too!! :)

Unknown said...

I like the way you decorated the cake. Feliz cumpleanos to your Dad.

Anonymous said...

You're right, most people have a weakness for Dulce de Leche, present company suspected.
And your cake may just convert the few who don't.


Happy Birthday Patricia's Dad!

Peter M said...

Patricia, I have a weakness for Dulce de Leche, does this mean I get a cake too?

eatme_delicious said...

What an absolutely stunning cake Patricia!! And even better that it has dulce de leche cream mmm.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmy! This looks fantastic. Bring on the birthdays if it means getting to eat a delicious dessert like this. Well done :)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your dad!
Love dulce de leche and love the free-form chocolate on the cake :)

Deborah said...

My birthday is in September - wanna send a slice my way?!

Brilynn said...

Gorgeous cake! I don't know anyone who could refuse it!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've been thinking it's time to make a batch of dulce de leche... and now here is this beautiful cake, another reason to make the dulce de leche soon. Happy birthday to your dad!

pam said...

Patricia, your father is sooo lucky!

Cynthia said...

The candles were covered in glitter! I would have laughed too. Hope he had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful cake! I definitely know what I'm making next time I make a batch of DDL!

Jen said...

looks so delicious! my mouth is watering as I type this. :)

Nic said...

What a lucky dad! Happy Birthday to him, and save a slice for me!

grace said...

sweet fancy moses, what a cake. i usually make the same cake for myself every year, but now there's some serious competition! :)
happy birthday to your pop!

LyB said...

A glitter covered "60", that is hilarious! What a great looking cake Patricia, I've never had Dulce de Leche cake, it sounds delicious!

Lisa Johnson said...

I've been seeing recipes with dulce de leche everywhere suddenly. Your post is like the third in two days! Your cake looks wonderful and I hope your father had a happy birthday. ; )

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mari, I think I have to start planning it now... :)

Lu, and chocolate goes really well with DDL.

Cathy, thank you, darling!

Kim, I'm glad you like it, tks!

A Fork..., thank you!

Jen, I'm sure he would, and you would too!

Katie, I agree. DDL is the best. :)

Mark, thank you, my dear friend!

Mindy, gracias!

Marysol, thank you so much, sweetie!

Pete, I wish I could send you some!

Ashley, mmmmm, indeed! :)

Kristen, I love baking birthday cakes. ;)

Linda, thank you, dear!

Deb, I'll send you an entire cake, darling!

Bri, it was gone pretty fast, I almost did not have time to photograph the slice! :)

Lydia, make some! And thank you!

Pam, and you are so kind, tks!

Cynthia, he did, thank you!

Michelle, you definitely should!

Jenny, thank you very much!

Nic, thank you, sweetie!

Grace, I think you'd like the change. ;)
Thank you!

LyB, my sister - the one who bought the candles - is 14, so there you have it... ;)

Anali, it's a signal for you to make something with DDL too! :)
Thank you, he did!

Anonymous said...

This is such a gorgeous looking cake!Happy B-Day to your Dad! I am sure he was very happy to see this fabulous cake. He must be very proud to have a daughter like you.

Allen said...

You make such insanely good desserts! I'm sure your father was pleased with this wonderful DDL cake :-)

Unknown said...

Beyond gorgeous! I have a weakness for dulce de leche and your looks so fabulous! Your dad is very lucky:)

Carla said...

Mmm if you have any leftovers, I'd be glad to help :)

jasmine said...

What a lucky papa you have!

I've been thinking of dulce de leche cakes lately...I really should make one. Yours looks delicious.

j

Elle said...

I love your Jackson Pollock decorating--what a gorgeous cake!

ChichaJo said...

I'm with your dad and everyone else...dulce de leche is the best! :) What a gorgeous looking cake! And with dulce de leche in it incredibly delicious too I'm sure! Happy birthday to your dad :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Farida, you are so sweet! Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me.

Allen, you are far too kind, my friend, tks!

Anita, thank you, darling!

Carla, I wish I could share the cake with you!

Jasmine, I think you should. :)
xx

Elle, thank you, darling!

Joey, it is the best! :)
And it goes so well with chocolate and cinnamon.
Thank you, sweetie!

Robin said...

This is a beautiful cake. I love Dulce de Leche, it should be president!

Ginny said...

I have quite the weakness for dulce de leche too...and my birthday is coming up...mmm...

Gigi said...

Stop it, you're killing me with these fabulously baked goods! I like your father, am a big fan of dulce de leche! ...yummy!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

that must have been so good--even with the candles, i bet your dad was pleased! and the drizzled chocolate is a very cool effect!

Dragon said...

How beautiful! Your father is lucky man. :)

Y said...

What a cake! Love the chocolate squiggles :)

kickpleat said...

that cake takes my breath away. amazing! and good to know about the cake flour tip!

Sarah said...

I love dulce de leche cake, but yours is the prettiest I've ever seen!

Lynne Daley said...

Your cake looks great! I'm sure your Dad enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your father! That's an amazing looking cake you've made and of course the taste of a dulce de leche cake must be amazing also.

Emily said...

Yum! Happy birthday dad!

Helene said...

Wonderful cake! Happy belated bday to your dad!

Deeba PAB said...

Stunning cake; love the artwork on it. made have been delicious. Happy birthday Dad, belated!!

Jaime said...

beautiful cake!

Anonymous said...

I -love- this cake! See, if I tried something similar, it would just look like a mess, but yours looks like a work of art. Plus, that beautiful cake stand is just perfect for it.

Happy extra-belated birthday to your dad!

Anonymous said...

hi, patricia-

love your taste in cakes! i'm thinking of trying the recipe for this dulce cake. i wasn't sure from the post if you enjoyed the result? would you make this again for a birthday cake?

thanks!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, there!
We all liked this cake very much - everyone thought it reminded them of pão de mel, a Brazilian specialty.
I have to tell you that my sister's cake, the lemon one, became a favorite, but my dad stood up for his cake. :)

George Erdosh said...

I don't know about the flavor but its presentation is awesome. I wish my daughter presented something like this to me, too.

Check out Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Making Great Foods

On Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.

WendyinKK said...

I made a DDL cake based on your recipe.
Thanks
Here's my link,
http://wendyinkk.blogspot.com/2010/04/finally-100000-hits-and-dulce-de-leche.html

The cake was heavenly and it's my first time using DDL.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Wendy, thank you for letting me know about the recipe - I'm off to see your cake right now!

Fine Art of René said...

my cake layers came out very flat after following this recipe. did i do something incorrectly?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nom de Plume, it's hard to tell with so little information - did you follow the recipe to a T?

Related Posts with Thumbnails